Friday, May 9, 2008

A tribute to Ramya

It was Jan 1st 2008. I was up all excited on the new year, a year i was eagerly awaiting as I was graduating in a couple of months and I felt a surge of independence rush through me. It was 11:00 am and I was suprised that one my best friends, Sweta hadn still called me to wish me a happy new year! Usually she's the first to wish me.Her mobile also wasn going and at that point i did get a tad bit worried. So I called up her place and to my worst fears, her mother informed me that Ramya and Anand were in CCU Apollo Hospital. I immediately called up my friend Divya and we both rushed to the hospital.It was one of the worst moments I had experienced. I saw my best friend and her family on New Year's day full of tears and worry. I didnt know what to say, I didn know what to do because the entire event seemed a blur to me.This is the incident which happened:

It was New Year's Eve and Hotel Savera had organized a party on a stage over a swimming pool. Due to overload the stage broke and people dancing on the stage fell into the water. Hotel Savera did not bother to call an ambulance. People were pulled out in random and the two of them were admitted in Apollo in the wee hours of the New Year. I still couldn register because I had spoken to Sweta, that night when she was at savera and also saw the incident late night on news after i arrived back from dinner with my family. I still could'nt co relate that it might be them.
7 days was filled with hospital visits, messaging, phones calls and lots and lots of prayers. All this couldn't save them. On 7th afternoon, as if it was spoken they both departed from us,first Anand and then Ramya.

The moment you hear the news heavy tone of your heart just feels like no, it couldn have happened. After you hear it you long for someone to shout that they were only joking.That exact moment while it lasts is the saddest moment in the world. That split second is all you need to recollect all the wonderful moments you have spent with that buddy. And now my heart felt like it couldn give space to any other emotion at all.

I have known Ramya since my school days, from my 12th standard end to be exact and that day I felt all those memories just flowing back to me. My first memory of Ramya was during TNPCEE hall ticket. Jalaja, Divya, Sadhana and I had gone had gone with Ramya's mother to get our hall tickets. I was introduced to this wonderful family and as more and more Sweta and I became closer I started becoming equally to her family as well.School days had those innocent fun! Those six months when we were vetti..we had spent the maximum time! Watching the match at my place, been like to every nook and corner of chennai and also had photo shoots! The photo was one memory I would never forget.One of our friends in the media line wanted us to pose for friendship's day and around ten of us had met isphani and had our shoot there. That was such a fun day!
Time flew and soon college started.. I still remember the first day, all five of us were in the same bus full of hopes and expectations as to what college would bring to us.Actually we each had different route of bus, but took the common route so that we could be together. Those journey's were so much fun! Arbit talks, raggin each other, sessions for Ranj , wat not?!
Ramya to me as a person was one of the best I knew. Her way of moving with people, making friends amazed me! She's one of those people i've never become close but somehow enjoyed every moment that i spent with her. All those combined studies from e-mech to math, all times spent with her family, all those late night conferences.. memories I will truly cherish. Ramya to me as been one of the biggest inspirer's as it was only through her i learnt to 'let things go'. To me that was a very important trait that I developed and changed in myself, cos change is somethin which people easily say but not so easy to actually do it, it takes lot of time and i should thank her for helping me develop it.It made me see a positive outlook in my life..! Every friendship has those moments of coldness and ours had too.. but one thing i repent is that I never told her that she meant a lot to me and she was of those few I truly liked. Now that she is in heaven blessing us, I am sure she knows it now.This is why I post this blog, a tribute to one of the best people i knew...

Ramya- a dutiful daughter, an amazing friend, a cherished companion and someone who made my college life complete in a cute way.Miss you.

3 comments:

sweta said...

poornaaaaaa....i nearly choked wen i read ur first post!!never knew ramya touched so many ppl s lives!!i jus hope she knows it now atleast!!

Anonymous said...

A touching read to say the least. Felt as if the sky had broken down on your head. Rest assured, wherever she is, she is at peace.

RIP

Ad majorem Dei gloriam.

PS: I have TAGGED you. Check my post on Tagged for details.

divya said...

truly amazing ... u hav said it all:( wishing it had never been this way.. i guess wherever she is now .. she'l know how much we love her...